Monday, May 26, 2008

Hey Everyone,

Once again I can't write much as I'm in an internet cafe but we've been having a good time. Since the last update we caught the bus from Tallinn to Riga in Latvia and spent a day and a bit there. We were in the run down part of town and advised to not go out on our own at night, lots of crumbling Soviet-era buildings. The city itself is quite nice but on the whole nobody liked Riga especially much. Then we caught another bus to a port city in Lithuania called Klaipeda, didn't see a great deal of the town and apparently it was flattened during WW2 as it was a Soviet submarine base. We caught the ferry to the Curonian Spit which is a huge sand island I guess. It was cold and windy and raining and not that much fun really! I braved the cold waters of the Baltic Sea for a quick dip but it was very quick!

From there we caught the train to Vilnius, Lithuania. Like everything around here it's really old, and there's dozens of old churches and buildings to look at. We're going to an even older city this afternoon I think. The weather is nice, high teens and sunny.

As I don't have internet access on my laptop I can't post any photos but I'll try and post some when I get a chance.

Brad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey brad! Its gemhl here=) Seems like u are having a wonderful time! Did you join a tour group? I will be leaving for Eastern Europe on the 22nd, finally decided =) Although the weather does seem kinda gloomy, do post more pictures yah. Take care =)

Brad Lowe said...

Hi Gem,

I travelled with Intrepid Tours, do a search on them they have a good website. I highly recommend them, our tour went off without a hitch and it was only the second time it has run.

Where abouts in Eastern Europe will you be going? I'd like to go to Prague or Budapest in the coming months.

Good luck with your trip and keep in touch :-)

Brad.